These plants can tolerate a variety of locations ranging from full sun to full shade. .
- Prefer free draining soil
- From eastern Brazil
- Grow to large scale (considered a giant bromeliad) span of 1.5m at 10 years of growth
- Slightly ribbed leaves are quite leathery and tough with a distinctive waxy bloom over the surface
- The thick flower spike reaches up to 2.5m in height, producing hundreds of white flowers
- Can withstand realively cool nights as its native to mountains near Rio de Janeiro at an elevation of about 1500m